Sunday, 11 July 2010

The secret (of my success)

It's quite uplifting to hear the gasps from those girls who haven't seen me for a while, whether the gasps are from surprise or jealousy it's all the same to me - but before I get too conceited or big-headed about having obtained such a slim line figure, I must say a big thank you to all you girls out there for such lovely compliments - before and after pictures included here (me in 2008, me in Eden bar last week - picture courtesy of Di).

Spurred on by Claires kind words following our Sparkle Friday outing for Northern Angels I thought I might share my secret with you; Claire was wondering if all I had to eat between the monthly meals was rabbit food?.... well.... the answer is 'no'... but 'yes'... but 'no'.

The secret.... as to put it, is that I've reduced how much I eat and increased the amount of exercise I do.... the latter not being too difficult compared with about 3 years ago when 'exercise' only really consisted of getting off the couch to make a cup of tea. Three years ago I was well and truly in the closet; but it was later in 2007 that changed all that, by coming out to Mrs Kate and eventually 'getting a life' again - being tranny (I really hate that label!) has been the ultimate incentive to losing weight.

So for you girlies out there who want to try my get-your-waistline-back regime out ... firstly, don't expect immediate results, where I am now took me the best part of 12 months.

Food
* A little cereal in the morning - don't bother with the sugar-coated stuff.
* Sugar in Tea and Coffee - as long as you're not doing 2+ teaspoons, shouldn't be a problem!
* Lunch, a bowl of soup and a bread roll - perhaps a cuppa... but this is where it gets tough, you got to stick with this even when it's curry day in the works canteen.
* Evening meal - just have what you normally have but reduce your portion by about half, and try to avoid having any chips!
* Snacks - avoid them or take them at the time of your main meal.
* Never eat after 10pm .... just half joking here, but they say you should never eat late as it never gets properly digested and what does will be absorbed into storage (fat).

Exercise
Just like those government ads, you got to do an hour a day exercise ... and I mean vigorous exercise. In my case I took up cycling to work .... well 'Bob' did, which helps me out no end. Cycling to and from work is just under 30 minutes each way, and for best weight loss results is best done by riding the heaviest bike you can least afford, at the highest speed you can muster. I find cycling with dance music playing on the personal stereo is a big motivator and with all that, I can cover the 7 mile journey in the best time of 22 minutes (had a following wind that day).

Recently I also took up doing a bit of running; it's a 'left over' from all that bit about training for the Manchester 10km run that Diana and I did in May. Each Friday afternoon for the last few weeks, once I've cycled home from work (that's the warmup session) I put on my running shoes and do 10km... on a good day, I can do that in under an hour.

And that's it.... combination of the two and a watchful eye on the calories has got me to where I am today, .... size 12/14 figure (depending which shop we go to) and weight just passing below the last target of 11.5 stone (160.5 lbs) .... which reminds me, I believe I said that a certain gentleman with horns and a pointy fork would be skating to work should I ever reach my desirable weight of 11 stone?; apparently he's having skating lessons at the local ice-rink!

No comments: