Saturday, 29 May 2010

BTDT - Manchester Great Run


Been there, done that! ..... and in a rather surprisingly good time - all things considered.

Both Di and I managed the course which had something of an atmosphere that was quite exhilerating; with people cheering us on and 'running with the herd' along roads normally reserved for rush-hour traffic. There were various bands and music being played around the course, on a day we probably couldn't have asked for better weather.

The day though dry and sunny with patchy cloud, was cold with a very chilly wind. I was glad for the footless tights I chose to wear with my cheerleaders outfit.

At about the 5km mark, my legs decided they wanted a rest so I had to leave Di to carry the t-girl flag onwards. She got to the finish about 3 minutes before me - under the hour; I was on the hour.... which surprised me 'cos I had to stop and a walk a few times and when I'd done that in training, I was getting times in the order of 5-10 minutes after the hour for running 10km.

I have all sorts of excuses as you might expect - one of which was rather personally embarrasing and only revealed itself a few days after the event! So to do the 10km course in the time that I did was actually not far short of amazing!

That was about 2 weeks ago; certain ailments reasonably recovered from and as such, on getting home from work yesterday I decided I just had to go for a run... 10km of course; no ankle pain afterwards and in a time in the order of the hour again ... although I must admit to still having to take a few rests throughout but I felt I had loads more energy than I had on the day of the Manchester Great Run.

A big thank you to everyone who sponsored us! - I personally raised around £300 for the MS Society.

No comments: