Tuesday, 6 April 2010

Spring Fever


Have you noticed how everyone has turned into some crazed lunatic 'cos the sun has come out? - trying to race you at traffic lights, trying to get past you and the next 6 cars ahead of you all stuck behind the same tractor.... and that's just the women drivers (not a sexist comment - trust me; based purely on numerous events witnessed by both Mrs Kate and I).

If they're not on a mission every where, they're simply walking out in front of you whilst inanely chatting on their mobilephones; completely oblivious to the approaching traffic.

Yes girls! it's that time of year for 'Spring Fever'; when all sanity goes out of the window and those affected by unbridled amounts of testosterone and estrogen tend to do things that any sane person would normally think twice about.

Of course I'm immune to all this - or so I thought..... I put mine down to a temporary rush of blood to my head... you see, I've signed up for the Manchester 1ok run in May (well, it was actually to support two of my bestest friends). I think I was feeling quite pleased with myself in having lost all this weight and acquiring a silth-like figure, and of course doing a daily round trip of just short of 15 miles on my bike to work should make it quite a cinch eh?....

.... I couldn't be more wrong.... doing a 10k run? ... and this is someone who last managed to do (more like dodged) any form of structured running sports way back in high school days.

So having signed up with one of the charities, I thought I better dust off my best pair of trainers and see what I really could do by way of a time to complete 10km. So throwing all caution to the wind (staged training - who needs it?) I did do 10km... it took me a little under 70 minutes (no laughing please - and appreciate that my High School days were over 35 years ago!).

I thought it was a cinch... 10k dead easy... BTDT; a bit more training and I should easily get under the hour.... but the next day and for the best part of the last week has been a different story.... I found muscles aching I never knew I had and my knee... well! .... lets just say that a little over a week on and it's only just recovering.


Spring Fever ... pah!

.... but on the managed weight loss, I've just passed below my target of 168lbs - about 3 months later than expected but at least a positive side to 'Spring Fever'.




No comments: