The last week or so has been a difficult time for a couple of girlfriends I now count as my closest friends - which is a strange situation for me as in the past, I can't really say I ever really had a best friend - except for Mrs Kate who is my special friend; but I'm really talking about the complete strangers that we come to trust and perhaps to rely upon for that bit of support; to laugh with, shed tears with, but most of all to be there with.
One friend in particular has had a really awful time with a representative of the same authority group that is supposed to protect us; despite great strides in understanding and tolerance, there are still some folk who abuse their position - without a doubt, a definition of a bully. And I really hate bullies - although I've learned from Mrs Kate to pity them since the universe will one day redress the balance.
Next week will be 12 months since I 'came out' to Mrs Kate - like the Queen, I wonder if that might count as my official/unofficial birthday? But one thing is for certain, the last 12 months has had a profound impact on me; even life-changing? - all far more positive than I could have ever wished for when I started out on this journey; but the main thing for me has been acceptance of just being myself... hmmmm ... on second thoughts, I still need to work on that; I still get confused with the whole 'him' and 'her' thing, especially as we've come to realise that sexuality is no longer a binary definition.
Tuesday, 11 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hi Kate,
I guess there are always going to be bullies, and I agree I think the universe does redress the balance, just sometimes we don't see it.
Nothing wrong with having another birthday.
As for the last 12 months, along with Lisa you helped one nervous lass realise she could enjoy life again when I first came down earlier this year.
Hopefully see you both soon.
Karen xx
Dear Kate, thanks for a lovely post from a lovely person.
'every cloud has a silver lining '
corny, I know
Di
x
Not sure which way to interpret your initial comments about closest friends? Anyway I'm pleased for you that things have worked out for you (& Mrs K) in the last 12 months and hopefully they will continue to do so. See you around. Hugs.
Post a Comment