Monday, 14 December 2009

A trip to the 2nd City

Karen and I had a trip to Birmingham, it had to be planned with a little military precision since I was faced with the following :-

* I had to be 'Bob' with a business meeting in the morning (a rare occasion that a meeting was for half-day only);

* I had to take a change of clothes, makeup and all the accessories a girl needs without attracting attention from Bobs work colleagues (all in my briefcase - 'though admittedly briefcase looked a little overweight to say the least);

* I had to find somewhere to do the wonderwoman change-in-a-phonebooth bit, whilst it was mad busy with Christmas shoppers (and I mean really busy!).

The grand plan was to escape Bobs meeting at lunchtime and meet Karen at a suitable lunch venue that is known to have reasonable size toilets. I met Karen ... or at least tried to wave to her to indicate that I'd made it; she was busy trying to text me to say that the venue in question was full. She wondered who the strange character was that was trying to attract her attention across the busy store... she hadn't seen me as Bob before - only a privileged few have had that honour!

10 minute makeover
We quickly agreed to meet again after I had got changed; and rather cheekily I went to use the toilet - well... we would have had lunch there if they could have accommodated us. In 10 minutes flat I got madeup and changed, including a quick shave with a disposable razor I only bought a few minutes previously (note to self: don't bother with disposable razors again - ever!). I packed all Bobs stuff into the briefcase and placed that in a large carrier bag to hide it - should the many work colleagues that are in and around the city recognise it (it's a bit unique to me). The case has a shoulder strap which was a god-send since it weighed quite a bit with Bobs stuff in it (another note to self: take a wheelie case next time - or better still, get changed at home, travel light and make a day of it!).

Then it was out into the shops - but not before we had something to eat. Since the planned establishment was quite full, we went to a small cafe that is tucked away at the back of the Palisades centre - they do a very good all day breakfast (Bob has only ever visited it a couple of times - honest!).

Magical
We did the Bullring, New Street, the Palisades; stopped for coffee a couple of times - for me it did feel a little surreal since it's a place I've always associated with work and shopping only 'between trains'. I watched out for the many work colleagues who were likely to be about but saw none - probably because it was so busy with Christmas shoppers - it was easy to blend in.
But for me the most memorable and magical time was doing the German Christmas Market as it was going dark, with the street Christmas lights and decorations, and the people, the sights and sounds. No one gave us any hassle and the shops were very welcoming ... even when I dropped a couple of glass pendants and they broke on the floor, the shop owner was so nice about it and refused my offer to pay for the damage; she even helped me find some replacements.

And then back to Manchester
We missed a couple of trains - I swear they left early; but eventually we got one that got us back to Manchester for about 8pm. We grabbed something eat in Taurus and then it was home for me on the train... another first for me.

I got to the Oxford Road station just in time to to get 9:45pm train; which turned out to be a two-coach cattle truck which felt like the 'last bus' with the amount of people that were on it. It was the one that stops at every station and was near-packed with just a couple of workaholics having to stand; I decided it might be safest to sit near the front, near the driver and guard - and also as there appeared to be a number youths in the rear coach. As it turned out, no one gave me any hassle - even the lady who was part of 3-couple group who kept glancing at me... sure, when they got off she pointed me out to her friends, but more with doubt and curiosity (although I was glad of the large glass of dutch courage I had in Taurus).

But back home safe and sound (courtesy of Mrs Kate who collected me from the station) , and an end to what turned out to be brilliant day (even including Bobs business meeting in that!).

1 comment:

Tawny Karen said...

Hi Kate,
That was a fantastic day out and I would say you were more like Supergirl the speed you got ready.
I don't think any work colleagues would have recognised you. I certainly didn't before you got changed.
It would be great to have a full day out with you there. Hopefully we can next year.
You were very brave getting that last train home. I would have been very uneasy leaving it that late.
Karen x