Friday, 16 May 2008

Is this Summer?

This week the weather has been very warm and I've seen the first swifts flying overhead so it must be Summer, so 'D' and I went to our favourite shop in Southport to look for some Summer outfits each; (sigh) sadly more outfits than the budget can stretch to, but I got a lovely pink/purple skirt and top, a white/black two piece skirt and top (very shapely) and a rather slinky turquoise gown going for £1 - yes a £1! .... I think they got the sizes wrong on it 'cos it should have been enormous even on me, but it fitted nicely in all the right places!

In considering the pink/purple skirt, I wasn't certain if an 18 would be a better fit than my usual size 16; 'D' actually suggested I should them both on ('D' is the one who usually gets nervous when we're looking for outfits for 'Kate'), but I bottled out as we approached the changing cubicles as they had become quite busy where as a few minutes previous they were deserted. We opted for the size 18 without trying it, on the basis that we're now getting wise to the 'Roman' label - the sizes are actually a little on the small side of what they actually say they are; this was later proven after we got home when I tried the skirt and it comfortably fit my normally size 16 figure!

Time for tea
But I must mention the tea shop we visited; it reminded us of Jess Harts exploits at the Tea Cosy in Brighton, we found the Westminster Tea Room on Southports Lord St. to be nearly as 'unique' although a little less formal. We had seen it on a previous shopping trip and made a note to visit the next time we were in town, mostly for the variety of cream teas they were advertising outside. But once inside, it's all very proper! The girls are properly attired in waitress uniforms hailing from the 1930's (black dress with a white blouse that's buttoned right upto the collar) and the decor is all wooden paneling, crystal chandeliers, large potted plants and 30's recorded music that sounds as though it was still being played from the original wax cylinders.

We ordered a 'Regal' tea each which comprised of a large pot of tea served in china cups, a very nice fruit scone, clotted cream and a house preserve each - I had blackcurrant, 'D' had strawberry. This was presented on a very proper 3 tier silver cake stand complete with a lid covering the scones.

The whole environment although very prim, very proper, was nice and exceptionally chav-free! Although it was very prim and very proper, at least they didn't play the national anthem at 4pm! (even so, it wouldn't have seemed out of place!).

1 comment:

Diana Richards said...

Kate, loved the outfit and I will be investigating the Westminster Tea Rooms post haste. I will instruct my butler to park his postillion to the rear.
Diana
x